Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A cockroach in the urinal: The Author's corner

by Hero Jenkins

Hey Hero Jenkins fans. I have been working on a new novel and I don't want to give too much away yet, so all I will say is that this is the main character. Life is not going well for him, he may have been downsized or saw his company run into bankruptcy by a vulture capitalist. But he is close to the edge to say the least. What follows is his manifesto that he published on facebook.


A cockroach in the urinal.

Today I walked into a public bathroom and noticed that there was a cockroach on his back in the urinal. I was somewhat taken by surprise... this was one of the biggest cockroaches I have ever seen.

The cockroach wasn’t dead, not yet. I could see his legs flailing, his antenna swinging around wildly. But, he was obviously injured or stuck to something because cockroaches just don’t lie around willingly on their backs.

Now I had a problem... there was only one urinal. That meant that if I did what I came to do, I would have to do it on him. And I really did have to go. Sooo, what's the problem? I mean... seriously... it was only a cockroach and I don’t really care for them anyway.

My first thought was to just flush him, but like I said before this was a good size cockroach and the holes in the drain were so small. Even if he wished it, it is not possible that he could be flushed down the drain and have an end put to this dreary existence. 

The way I saw it, I had three choices:
1) I could help the cockroach out of the urinal,
2) I could kill him and put him out of his misery or
3) I could ignore him and do what I came in the bathroom to do and then be on my way.

I think we can all agree that this guy was pretty much screwed. But lets be real, it is not as though his life was that great to begin with. After all he spent most of his time rummaging through garbage, avoiding: roach motels, being sprayed with Raid or walking through that poison powdery stuff that sticks to his feet and kills everybody in his family if he tracked it home.

Still it was your life wasn’t it Mr. Cockroach and you were making the best of it with the hand you have been dealt. I doubt that you asked to be born a cockroach. You probably don’t even know that there is something wrong with it. All your life you have just been doing what cockroaches do. Nevertheless, today something went wrong didn’t it Mr. Cockroach and suddenly you found yourself on your back, trapped in a urinal.

I couldn’t help but wonder what you must be thinking. You had to have been lying there next to that smelly pink chemical thing they put in urinals, wondering how in the hell were you going to get out of this predicament. Did you open your eyes when you heard me walk in? You must be thinking, oh god, here comes another one. I know he can see me… but, he is going to do his business on me anyway. He is not going to help, just like all of the others who came before.

Lets take a step back and look at your current situation; it is very likely you have a very short lifespan left. And the fact of the matter is, for the rest of your life, you are going to be trapped in this urinal while those who are bigger and more powerful take turns doing their business on you and not one of them caring enough to help.

Your problem Mr. Cockroach isn’t that you have done anything wrong, for all I know you were great at being a cockroach. Its just that those who are more powerful than you, presently me, see you as dirty and disgusting and your presence or absence on this earth insignificant.

I began to wonder if that was how the one percent’ers saw the rest of us, were we just cockroaches in the urinal to them. Not worth saving. Are these thoughts their thoughts as they parked their millions off shore after putting so many out of work. Does the billionaire look down and think, it really must suck for the rest of you.

If you ever wonder how the one percent can do what they do, think about the cockroach in the urinal and then think about what you would be willing to do to help it. It’s easy to look down on the cockroach, isn’t it? But Substitute 99 percent’er for cockroach and your house or any other place not a mansion or a yatch for urinal. It’s easy to walk away until you switch places and you are the cockroach.


But you see, I am not helpless like that cockroach and me for one I refuse to take it anymore. I don’t know if what I am about to do will be viewed positively or will you call me insane. But I can’t sit on the sidelines anymore… Its time to stop complaining and act!
***



Not a subscriber?
Enter your name and e-mail address below to receive blog posts automatically.
Sign-up now! 



We respect your email privacy
Powered by AWeber Email Marketing Services
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment