Saturday, April 6, 2013

Starbuck's Personalities: The Author's corner

Hero Jenkins 4/6/13

Click here to go to my Face book Page and "Like" it


I don’t know if you can make out the picture but this guy is wearing what looks like a military gas mask. On his head is a black cloth cap with large red and black floppy dog ears hanging down.
My wife wanted to go to a craft fair with her sister this morning so I dropped her off. I decided to get coffee so and I found a Starbucks nearby. I had never been to this one before, but they are all pretty much the same… Right?
The first thing I noticed was this guy in the photo wearing the gas mask. I thought it unusual so I took his picture. Normally I like to observe people in Starbucks so that I can use them as characters in my books... but I didn't think anybody would believe it so I took a picture. 
Several questions popped into my head.... How did he drink his coffee or eat whatever that is in the Starbucks bag with a gas mask on? And if he really thought the mask was necessary wouldn't his food and drink be contaminated by now? Wouldn't drinking contaminated coffee at Starbucks kinda defeat the purpose of wearing a mask in the first place?
I looked around to see if anybody else was reacting to this guy. Nobody seemed to care.
That was when I noticed an older Middle Eastern looking woman at one of the tables. She just sat there staring straight ahead at the wall. There was thick white cream or something spread over much, but not all, of her face. At another table there was younger woman sucking on a straw that was in an empty Frappuccino cup. She had bright red hair in pigtails like she was the girl from the “Wendy’s” logo or perhaps a Raggedy Ann impersonator.
I slipped into the bathroom and things really got weird.
Most Starbucks’s bathrooms are basically a small square room with a toilet and a sink. It is meant to be used by one person at a time, that’s why they put a lock on the door. So if you turn the handle and it opens you can be reasonably assured that the bathroom is empty. Not today, there was a guy sitting on the toilet doing his business.
He looked up, we made eye contact… he didn’t seem concerned… I was. I got out of there.
I hurried out of the Starbucks and jumped into my car. It was like I had walked into the middle of a scene of “Men in Black” or something. Now I’m not saying they were aliens, but there was something going on and I hadn’t got the memo.

*Read sories that will touch your heart.
*Learn about the creative process.
*Get access to unfinished works! 



We respect your email privacy
Email Marketing by AWeber

No comments:

Post a Comment