Monday, May 20, 2013

It sucks getting Old



I used to practice shooting at the pistol range in my younger days. Even though I always wore ear protection I believe that all of that shooting has affected my hearing. 

Most of the time our conversations start like this. I will hear something, but I'm not really sure she has said anything until I feel her angry eyes on me.

"Did you say something?"
"Yeah, I did... don't pretend like you can't hear me!"
"What did you say?"
"Never mind."
"Whatever."

So here’s my problem… my wife likes to talk to herself, actually she mumbles to herself. With my diminished hearing, half the time I can’t tell if she is talking to herself or me.

This exchange happens at least twice times a day:

“Are you talking to me?”
“No.”
“Did you say something?”
“No.”
“I know I heard something.”
“I wasn’t talking to you, I was talking to myself.”
“Really? You’re talking to yourself again?”
“Yeah, so?”
“Why can’t you do that in your head?”
“Why can’t you stay out of my conversation?”
“It’s not a conversation when you talk to yourself.”
“Whatever.”

Aging... It sucks getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment